PI News: New Hybrid Linear Stage provides higher Resolution, Dynamics Mar 6, 2008
The new M-511.HD hybrid nanopositioning linear stage overcomes the limitations of conventional precision positioning systems.
PI (Physik Instrumente) L.P., a leading manufacturer of nanopositioning and precision motion-control equipment for nanotechnology, photonics, semiconductor and life science applications, offers the M-511.HD hybrid nanopositioning linear stage. The new hybrid linear stage overcomes the limitations of conventional precision positioning systems by combining the well-known piezo-flexure-drive advantages of unlimited resolution & rapid response with the long travel ranges and high holding forces of a servo-motor / ballscrew arrangement.
Nano-Metrology, Surface Inspection, Microscopy, Laser Technology, Interferometry
Features & Advantages
* Combines Advantages of Piezo-Flexure Drives & DC-Servo / Ballscrew Drives
* Long Travel Ranges to 100 mm
* 2 Nanometer Linear Encoder Resolution
* Reliable Execution of Nanometer Level Increments
* Millisecond Settling Time to Nanometer Accuracy
* Active Compensation of Stick/Slip During Startup and Settling
* Active Backlash Compensation
* Excellent Velocity Control
* 100 kg Load Capacity
* High Holding Forces with Minimum Power Consumption
Hybrid Controller Technology is Key to Success
The highly specialized C-702 Hybrid Nanopositioning Controller reads the stage position from an integrated, 2 nm resolution linear encoder and continuously actuates both the piezoelectric and servo motor drives in a way to provide the best possible overall performance. Due to its high stiffness and instantaneous, sub-millisecond response, the integrated piezo flexure drive provides active stick/slip compensation during startup and settling. It also improves velocity control and is the key to achieving consistent and repeatable nanometer level positioning increments.
Never Miss a Count: Novel High-Bandwidth Encoder Interface
The C-702 Hybrid controller is equipped with a novel, high-speed encoder interface and can handle encoder count rates of 100 million pulses per second, without missing a single count. Thanks to its real-time operating system, the intricacies of the hybrid drive are completely transparent to the user. Interface to the host computer is via TCP/IP or RS-232; this interface makes it possible to operate and monitor the system over any TCP/IP-compatible network (intranet/internet).
PI, a global, ISO 9001 certified market leader in the field of nanopositioning technology, has been developing and manufacturing standard, custom and OEM products with piezo and motor drives for 35+ years. PI is present worldwide with eight subsidiaries and total staff of 400+.
More products from this company
- PI is the Strategic Partner for ZEISS: Bundled Expertise for the Highest Packing Apr 17, 2015
- What Makes Piezo Actuators Suitable for Industrial and Space Applications? Apr 17, 2015
- DuraAct Power Piezo Composite Patch Transducer Feb 13, 2015
- Small Size and High Resolution for 10-6 hPa Feb 13, 2015
- More Space for Future Development: PI miCos Enhances Capacities for Precision Po Feb 13, 2015
- High-Dynamics Hexapod Uses Magnetic Direct Drives Feb 13, 2015
- Motorized Rotary Stage with High Precision with Air Bearing and Vacuum Option Jun 10, 2013
- Nano-Indentation / Materials Testing w/ Scanning Probe Microscopy / Piezo Stages Jul 6, 2011
- Nanopositioning Systems Catalog: Piezo Stages, Motors, Controllers Jun 8, 2011
- AFM Scanner Catalog: Planar Piezo Stages for Atomic Force Microscopes, SPM Mar 29, 2011