PI News: Piezo-Z Objective Nanostepping Drive Systems for Fast 3D Microscopy are Easily Integrated Mar 6, 2008
A series of high-speed microscopy objective Z-scanner systems for 3-D microscopy applications provides 10 to 20 times faster settling than conventional stepper z-motors.
PI (Physik Instrumente) L.P., a leading manufacturer of nanopositioning and precision motion-control equipment for life science, photonics and semiconductor applications, offers a series of high-speed microscopy objective scanner systems for 3-D microscopy applications.
Systems Contain Driver, Mechanics & all Adapters
PIFOC® piezo Z-drives systems are designed for easy integration into high-resolution microscopes. They are available as components or as complete systems including the piezo objective scanner, a controller and two distance cases.
Z-stack Image Acquisition: How it Works
The PIFOC® units are ideal for high speed Z-stack image acquisition, the basis for the generation of 3-D views of samples in high-resolution, optical microscopes. Conventional Z-drives use a motorized actuator and motor controller to create numerous focus planes during focusing. The individual “slices” are then processed with special software to form one 3-D image. PIFOC® systems are compatible with all major image acquisition packages.
Faster with Piezo
Piezo-actuated Z-drives, achieve significantly higher focusing speed (typically 10 msec vs. 200 msec) and resolution (typically 1 nm vs. 100 nm) than stepper motor-drives and thus provide higher-quality images in less time.
Scanning the Objective
The compact, light and stiff objective scanner design provides very fast response and does not disturb the sample which can be a problem with specimen scanners.
3D imaging, autofocusing, scanning and alignment tasks in microscopy, biotechnology, optics, semiconductor technology and photonic packaging.
Features & Advantages
Choice of Controllers: Display Controller or Compact Controller
More products from this company
- Motorized Rotary Stage with High Precision with Air Bearing and Vacuum Option Jun 10, 2013
- Nano-Indentation / Materials Testing w/ Scanning Probe Microscopy / Piezo Stages Jul 6, 2011
- Nanopositioning Systems Catalog: Piezo Stages, Motors, Controllers Jun 8, 2011
- AFM Scanner Catalog: Planar Piezo Stages for Atomic Force Microscopes, SPM Mar 29, 2011
- Ultrasonic Motor Linear Actuator for Precision Automation Jan 28, 2011
- Nano-Positioning and Piezo Technology Solutions for Medical Design Jan 5, 2011
- Piezo Mechanics Catalog: Piezo Actuators, Piezo Motors, Piezo Stage Systems Nov 5, 2010
- Miniature 6-Axis Robot / Parallel Kinematics Hexapod Nano-Alignment System Feb 25, 2010
- Piezo-Nanopositioning System for SR-Microscopy: Slide Scanner for Bio-Nanotech Feb 1, 2010
- PI Launches Low Profile, High Speed Piezomotor Rotary Stage @ Photonics West Jan 22, 2010