Piezoelectric Miniature Linear Step Motor Combines Nanometer Precision & High Forces Mar 6, 2008
The new N-310 Miniature Linear Motor from PI provides higher forces and resolution in a smaller package.
More Information on the Piezo Motor:
Typical Applications: Laser Tuning, Nanotechnology, Nano-Imprint, Semiconductor & Data-Storage Test & Production Equipment, Nanomanipulation, Bio-Technology.
Features & Advantages:
- Very Compact (25x25x12 mm) and Cost-Effective<
- Non-Magnetic and Vacuum-Compatible Design, Self-Locking
- 10 N Push/Pull, 20 mm Travel, 10 mm/sec Speed
- Picometer Resolution
- Very Stiff Design, Millisecond Response & High Bandwidth
Design Overcomes the Micro / Nanopositioning Gap, < 1/2 Cubic Inch
NEXACT® is a patented, high-precision linear motor actuator developed to bridge the gap between micro- and nanopositioning devices. At ½ cubic inch and 50 g (1.7 oz), the new NEXACT® actuator is significantly smaller and more cost effective than its big “brother”. This high-force ceramic motor, dubbed NEXLINE® has already won a technology award from the semiconductor community.
Self-Locking, No Wear, Maintenance-Free
In contrast to servo or stepper motor actuators, the piezo stepping elements effect linear motion directly, without the need to transform rotation with gears and leadscrews. Backlash and wear are eliminated and the drive is maintenance-free. NEXACT® actuators exhibit high stiffness and are self-locking when powered down with nanometer position stability, and zero dissipation or servo-dither at rest.
Working Principle: Piezo Bending Elements Drive a Ceramic Runner
NEXACT® actuators provide piezo-class resolution (far below one nanometer) and millisecond responsiveness. The new technology combines virtually unlimited travel ranges with high stiffness in a very small package. In operation, piezoceramic bending elements act on the ceramic runner, connected to the moving part of the application. The length of the runner can be chosen as required, force capacity, resolution and velocity depend on the piezo geometry and are also scalable. To move the runner over longer distances the stepping mode is used, whereas for distances smaller than 7µm, the linear (sweep) mode enables high-dynamics positioning with resolutions far below one nanometer. The special drive design reduces the operating voltage to 40 V and below.
PI is a leading manufacturer of nanopositioning and precision motion-control equipment for photonics, nanotechnology, semiconductor and life science applications. PI has been developing and manufacturing standard & custom precision products with piezoelectric and electromagnetic drives for 35+ years. The company has been ISO 9001 certified since 1994 and provides innovative, high-quality solutions for OEM and research. PI is present worldwide with eight subsidiaries and total staff of 450+.
More products from this company
- Piezo-Based Ultrasonic Drives Open Up New Opportunities Jun 10, 2015
- High-resolution Positioning Systems in Miniaturized Design Jun 5, 2015
- PI is the Strategic Partner for ZEISS: Bundled Expertise for the Highest Packing Apr 17, 2015
- What Makes Piezo Actuators Suitable for Industrial and Space Applications? Apr 17, 2015
- DuraAct Power Piezo Composite Patch Transducer Feb 13, 2015
- Small Size and High Resolution for 10-6 hPa Feb 13, 2015
- More Space for Future Development: PI miCos Enhances Capacities for Precision Po Feb 13, 2015
- High-Dynamics Hexapod Uses Magnetic Direct Drives Feb 13, 2015
- Piezo-Based Ultrasonic Drives Open Up New Opportunities Jul 6, 2015
- 100 Billion Cycles Without Failures or Loss in Performance Apr 20, 2015