Precision Beam Steering Systems for Lithography, Optical Communications, Imaging use Parallel Kinematics Piezo Drives Mar 6, 2008
Beam steering speed and accuracy are important for many high tech applications from lithography to optical communications. Piezo electric beam steering mechanisms achieve ultra-high angular precision and speed.
Widely used in nanopositioning devices, low-inertia, parallel kinematics, flexure-guided designs provide superior positioning accuracy with minimal parasitic errors, and excellent dynamic properties. Integrated high-resolution feedback sensors and closed-loop control with advanced motion controllers are essential for high system performance.
PI (Physik Instrumente) L.P. — a leading manufacturer of nanopositioning and piezo-based precision motion-control equipment for bio-nanotechnology, photonics and semiconductor applications — now offers several new high-dynamics piezo steering mirror platforms.
Features & Advantages:
- Optical Beam Deflection to 20 mrad (>1°)
- > 3kHz Resonant Frequency for Sub-Millisecond Step Response
- Resolution to 20 nrad — Excellent Position Stability
- Parallel-Kinematics Design for Higher Dynamics, Stability & Linearity
- Closed-Loop Versions for Better Linearity
- Differential Drives for Excellent Temperature Stability
Beam correction, laser surgery, image stabilization, interlacing, dithering, laser scanning / beam steering, optical communications, high resolution microscopy / spectroscopy
2-Axis, Flexure Guided, No Polarization Rotation
S-330 steering mirror platforms provide precise angular tip/tilt motion of the top platform around two orthogonal axes. These flexure-guided, piezoelectrically driven systems can provide higher accelerations than other actuators, enabling step response times in the sub-millisecond range.
The single pivot-point design also prevents the drawback of polarization rotation, which is common with conventional 2-axis stacked systems, e.g. galvo scanners.
Closed-loop and open-loop versions with 3 different tilt ranges up to 10 mrad (20 mrad optical deflection) are available.
Parallel-Kinematics: Smaller with Improved Stability, Linearity & Dynamics
PI piezo steering mirrors are based on a parallel-kinematics design with coplanar rotational axes and a single moving platform driven by two pairs of differential actuators. The advantage is jitter-free, multi-axis motion with excellent temperature stability. Compared to stacked (two-stage), mirror scanners, the parallel-kinematics design provides symmetrical dynamic performance in both axes with faster response and better linearity in a smaller package.
PI is a leading manufacturer of nanopositioning and precision motion-control equipment for photonics, nanotechnology, semiconductor and life science applications. PI has been developing and manufacturing standard & custom precision products with piezoelectric and electromagnetic drives for 35+ years. The company has been ISO 9001 certified since 1994 and provides innovative, high-quality solutions for OEM and research. PI is present worldwide with eight subsidiaries and total staff of 450+.
More products from this company
- Motorized Rotary Stage with High Precision with Air Bearing and Vacuum Option Jun 10, 2013
- Nano-Indentation / Materials Testing w/ Scanning Probe Microscopy / Piezo Stages Jul 6, 2011
- Nanopositioning Systems Catalog: Piezo Stages, Motors, Controllers Jun 8, 2011
- AFM Scanner Catalog: Planar Piezo Stages for Atomic Force Microscopes, SPM Mar 29, 2011
- Ultrasonic Motor Linear Actuator for Precision Automation Jan 28, 2011
- Nano-Positioning and Piezo Technology Solutions for Medical Design Jan 5, 2011
- Piezo Mechanics Catalog: Piezo Actuators, Piezo Motors, Piezo Stage Systems Nov 5, 2010
- Miniature 6-Axis Robot / Parallel Kinematics Hexapod Nano-Alignment System Feb 25, 2010
- Piezo-Nanopositioning System for SR-Microscopy: Slide Scanner for Bio-Nanotech Feb 1, 2010
- PI Launches Low Profile, High Speed Piezomotor Rotary Stage @ Photonics West Jan 22, 2010